08 July 2011

Face Paint Friday - Have Makeup, Will Travel

Hello!

Two days til my Spanish adventure! I still really need guest bloggers, so email me at paradise423@gmail.com or tweet me at @cleverncolorful to let me know if you're interested! Nail, makeup, hair, skincare...any beauty related things are encouraged!

So for this week's Face Paint Friday, I'm going to show you the makeup I'm bringing on my adventure. My trip is 3 days in Barcelona, then 3 days in Madrid, then 4 weeks at the university at which I'll be studying, so there's a lot of moving around. I actually think while I'm at the university I have to change dorms halfway through as well. My favorite makeup product is eyeshadow, and at home I use many different palettes when doing a look, but it seemed impractical to bring a lot of small palettes with me across the world, and I didn't seem to have a bigger palette that included all the colors I use (pinks, greens, purples, browns...occasionally blues and smokey colors). I also couldn't bear to think of what would happen if I brought one of my favorite palettes and it BROKE in transport. **shudders**...the horror.

I went to CVS to try and find a big palette with enough shadows in it to keep me from wearing the same eyeshadow shades for 5 weeks (can you imagine?). I almost bought a Maybelline 10-shade palette, about the size of a playing card, until I found this:



This is a beauty pack from The Color Workshop. It includes 3 eyeshadow palettes in compacts, 4 eyeliner pencils, 4 nail polishes, two lipglosses, and 3 palettes that have 1 blush and 8 lipgloss shades. It cost me a whopping $10.

Here are some closer pictures!


The eyeliners. Black, Brown, Gray, and another Black. They're not crazy pigmented but they'll work. They're also really smooth and creamy, no pulling or tugging. I also love how big they are!






The eyeshadows, which were the reason I even looked twice this package. I did very quick finger swatches that I don't have a picture of, but I can tell you these aren't terribly pigmented. But, my Sephora eyeshadow primer will be with me to solve those problems. My favorite thing about these three palettes is the packaging. They each ave a mirror, they close very tightly and take some force to open....I found this really surprising for the price. They'll be great for travel! Also, imagine these much brighter, and anything that looks blue is actually purple.





Here are the lipsticks. They're really pigmented and creamy. The pink is a true fuschia I'd say, and the other one is a weird mauve/champagne frost. I like these (well, the pink)!





The blush/lipgloss palettes. I wasn't crazy about the possibility of getting powder blush all over the lipglosses, but I'll deal. I really like the color selection in these as well. I wore a blush yesterday and it was 75% missing after three hours, but I didn't set it so that might be why. I'm not crazy about blush anyway so it's not a big deal to me. I do have to admit I'll miss my dear Benefit Sugarbomb, but I'm so afraid to ruin it. Also, all of these are much brighter in real life. Those purple and pink glosses in the top picture are almost neon! I didn't have time to edit these because it's almost not Friday anymore!

I didn't photograph the nail polish, but they're a standard red, fuschia, dusty pink cream, and pink shimmer. If anyone wants pictures I can do that.


So this is most of the makeup I'll be traveling with. For $10, I won't care if it gets broken or cracked. I won't mind if I accidentally leave it in a hotel or lose it in transit. I'll also be able to buy makeup there if this stuff isn't doing it for me, so I'm not too worried. It is completely worth the price.

The other makeup I'm bringing is my Ulta Extreme Wear Mousse Foundation in Pure Beige (love this stuff), a tinted moisturizer (Ulta brand unless I find another one somewhere), Ulta Amped Lashes Mascara (again, unless I find another), my setting powder, colored liners, and concealer (also Ulta brand....see a pattern?), and a bunch of lip products including Wet n Wild tinted lipbalm and lipstick, Ulta brand gloss, my MAC Sonoran Rain and Caqui, and probably some others. Wow, that sounds like a lot....maybe I'll cut down =P

I will mention that CVS carried another kit like this from The Color Workshop. It had the same eyeshadow colors in the same arrangements (only in my kit, the shadows have circle stamps on them and in the other kit the shadows had no print on them), but it had 2 palettes with 2 blushes each, 4 lipsticks instead of 2, and the eyeliners were actual pencils (is that called kohl liners?) instead of the creamy pencils. Oh, and the nail polishes in the other kit were stout and round and the ones in mine had flat, squoval-shaped bottles.

So what makeup do you bring when you travel? Five weeks is a long trip, so I think I'm bringing more variety than I would on vacation. Also, I'm blanking on what nail polishes to bring. I seriously might go grab a bunch of Wet n Wilds and NYC polishes in case they break. =P

Would you buy this kit? Have you already? Let me know! Thanks for reading!

Janna

4 comments:

  1. It's so nice to meet another scientist! Are you from the UK? You have a wonderful blog by the way, I will be checking back to read more of your posts (followers isn't working at the moment but I will follow you when it works again). I wish all the luck in the world with it (although I am sure you do not need it).

    All the best,
    Voe.
    _________________________________________
    http://lipstick-and-pearls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm not from the UK, and i'm still getting my undergraduate degree in chem, so I don't know if I'm a "scientist" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where can i buy such pallets (should be a bit diff than yours)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - All I know is that I got mine at a pharmacy. You can check your local one =]

    ReplyDelete

I'd really love to hear your feedback and I promise to answer every single comment as soon as I can, so check back! Thank you so much for reading and following =]

(Comments are moderated so I know that I'll read all of them!)